Home 
 Visitor Information 
 Calendar of Events 
 Long Term Exhibits 
 Changing Exhibits 
 Museum Gardens 
 Membership 
 Volunteer 
 Research Library 
 Book Shop / Gifts 
 Local History 
 Historic People 
 Historic Places 
 Historic Things 
 Historic Minutes 
 Motorcoach Operators 
 Calling All Scholars 
 Links 
 Newsletter 

1939 Fish Removal
Date in History: 1939
This historic document aired on the radio as an Historic Minute on 09/06/2004.
In September of 1939, members of the Fort Atkinson Wisconservation Club had a big task before them. Working with the County Game warden, they had to move quickly to remove almost 600,000 fish from two small Fort Atkinson ponds that were in danger of drying up.

First up was Pritchard’s pond, which was about 6 miles south of Fort on Highway 26. Dragging the pond, they netted 500,000 bluegills that were transferred over to the Rock River and Rock Lake. A few weeks later they removed about 75,000 bullheads from a similar pond on the Walter Becker farm northwest of the city.

The fish, many of considerable size, had apparently gotten into these ponds during the severe flooding of the previous year.
Hoard Historical Museum  •  401 Whitewater Ave  •  Fort Atkinson WI 53538  
Phone: (920) 563-7769  •  Fax: (920) 568-3203  •  Email: info@hoardmuseum.org